Monday, February 2, 2009
John turned the big Five-O
Oh yes.....it's true, John turned 50 on Wednesday. His Mom & Dad took Charles, Ann, & us out to eat at Texas Roadhouse Wednesday evening. John got to sit on the "saddle" while the Texas Roadhouse folks led everyone in the restaurant in a big "Yaw Hoo".....don't you know John was really excited about it (Ha! Ha!) Afterward, we went back to Mom & Dad's house to eat cake. On Thursday, I called Sara because I was missing Elizabeth (plus, I knew that they would be coming home on the weekend), so I asked if I could come & get her. Sara & Travis agreed.....so John & I went to Victoria and picked up our little granddaughter! She was soooooo good and she's getting so big! She can say Dada, Mama, Bye-bye, and I think she says Nana....at least I've been trying to teach her that one! On our way home from Victoria, we stopped at a chicken place to eat. The girls at the counter just oooed and awed over her. Elizabeth ate part of a french fry and sat like a big girl in a high chair. On the way home, she drank out of her sippy cup....holding it by herself! I just can't believe she growing so fast!!! On Friday, our friends....the Stermer family came over. We ate pizza and played the wii. Elizabeth played with Pam, Shannon & Ashley and danced with Pat. I thought she might have had too much excitement, but she went to sleep in less than 5 minutes. (I think dancing with Pat wore her out!) On Saturday, Sara & Travis arrived around 4:45. Sara, Elizabeth & I went to Temple to pick up John's cake.....yes, a surprise birthday party was in store tonight. We had about 30 people meet us in Westphalia at Hering's Store. Of course...we had a little trouble getting there. John insisted that we take the Buick, you know...to save gas. We had 6 people....the Buick seats 6 (Elizabeth in her car seat), we only needed to take one car. Well.....we all get in and start on our way. (John was told earlier in the week, that Sara & Travis wanted to eat at Herings, so he didn't have a clue what was in store....but neither did we.) We get past the Luthern Church and the car dies......John doesn't see too worried.....we coast along and stop just about even with Dorothy Stock's house. John puts the car in park to start the car......it won't start. He tries again.....and again....but to no avail. I could not believe it. I wanted to make sure that our guests knew what was going on, so I called the Stermers. I told them we were on our way and that the car had broke down. (Of course, I had to tell John that the Stermers just so happened to be at Herings eating supper.) Anyway.....one of Matt's friends picked Travis & Matt up to get another car, while Pat Stermer came and picked us up. We left the car in the ditch. When we got to Herings .....about 45 minutes late....all our guest were still there.....and laughing with us about our mishap. Sorry Rick Trubee; I know you received a lot of grief about our car breaking down.....(He had been working on the car for the past few months and we thought all had been fixed......ooops!) After all was said and done.....we had a great time. On Sunday, we went to the Catholic Life meeting for lunch. Sara & Travis both won door prizes....a rosary and an apron.....they are so lucky! Oh....John & Sara towed the Buick home after we came home from the meeting. (It still won't start.) We had a super weekend and we were so glad to see our family and friends. Sara & Travis....thanks for letting us keep Elizabeth. We really enjoy spending time with her. Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate John's birthday; we couldn't have planned a better weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy Birthday John! It sounds like you had a full weekend.
ReplyDeleteSara mentioned the surprise party to me when I saw ya'll on Sunday but she left out the part about the car breaking down! YIKES!
ReplyDelete